PreHeader Home Page About Us Home Page Get A Quote Partners Claims Blog English Bulgarian Bulgarian Version Contact Us Contact Us

dented carWe’ve all seen surveillance videos where someone has driven their car into a building. On video, these crashes may seem like shocking, rare occurrences.

However, the fact is that automobiles collide with buildings every day. These collisions can range from minor bumps to massive damage to your car and the building.

Quite bluntly, buildings are not the causes of collisions in almost every case. Generally, if a driver collides with a building, then the driver is at fault. The collision will likely also affect the driver's car insurance.

If you collide with a building, you might cause some damage to someone's property. This can even be your own property. Keep these important facts in mind if you collide with a building. You don’t want to make a tough situation worse.

1. Never Just Drive Off

If you collide with a building, don’t leave the scene. In most cases it is against the law to do so.

If a collision occurs and the car is stuck to the structure, do not attempt to pull the care loose. If you pull the car loose from a building, you risk doing more damage to both the car and the structure. 

If you aren’t injured, turn off the vehicle, and get out. Don’t try to remove the car until a trained authority tells you to do so.

2. Immediately Locate the Owner of the Building

It is your responsibility to immediately find the owner of the building you collide with. Find out what type of insurance the owner has. It could be business insurance if you collide with a business, or homeowner’s insurance if you collide with a home.

If this is a rented property, make sure you talk to the person who is the owner of the building. The owner is not necessarily the tenant. You should also involve any tenants of the rented space, in case of insurance overlaps.

3. Contact the Authorities

Call the police, and any other authorities like the fire department. They can secure the scene and make sure the car and building are not at further risk.

You should also file an accident report that will help when working on insurance claims. Follow any directions that police may give you. They may try to determine if you were impaired while driving. Be honest, and work with them.

4. Compare Insurance

You will likely be liable for the collision. Make sure that the building owner has your car insurance information. Notify your insurance company that someone might make a property damage claim on your policy.

You should always take steps to protect yourself if you have an accident with a building. We can give you information on collision coverage on our web site. Call us today to make sure that your car insurance has the proper coverage.
Posted 5:19 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
Site Footer Home Page Customer Service About Us Get A Quote Contact Us Claims Testimonials Locations
Allen Harmon Insurance Agency | 230 N Helmer Rd | Battle Creek , MI 49037 | (269) 441-5156
Kozhuharov Agency | 961 Oakwood DrĀ | Rochester, MI 48307 | (877) 205-0051
Powered by Insurance Website Builder