PreHeader Home Page About Us Home Page Get A Quote Partners Claims Blog English Bulgarian Bulgarian Version Contact Us Contact Us

Home insurance provides a variety of protections for property owners. One type of protection is for stolen property. When a person enters your space and takes something, you may have the ability to file a claim for that lost item. In every situation like this, it’s important to know what to do to prove your lossimage of man breaking into house and to get help with it. Here’s what you can expect.

What to Do as Soon as Possible

When a theft occurs, your first reaction may be to clean up the mess and to figure out what happened. Instead, leave the home and call the police. This provides an opportunity for the police to ensure your property is safe and to preserve any evidence possible. It also helps the home insurance agent to gather key information from the police about the theft. Even in minor situations where no break-in or home damage occurs, you should still call the police to create a report.

Proving the Worth of Your Items

Your agent can help you file the claim. To do so, he or she needs to gauge information about the stolen items. If possible, provide a receipt that proves ownership. It should also give you some idea of the value of the item. If, for example, you know you purchased it using a credit card, try to visit the merchant to obtain a copy of the receipt. This is your best way of proving ownership and value.

If you cannot do this, the agency will work with you to determine the best value point for the item. The more information you can share, the better.

How Much Will They Pay You?

The amount you receive varies on numerous factors. Most of the time, home insurance policies pay you at the actual cash value of the item prior to the theft. This may be less than what you paid for it due to depreciation. If your policy pays for replacement value, on the other hand, it pays you the cost to buy a replacement of the item at today’s costs.

In all situations, home insurance agents are there to help you. Filing a claim like this does not have to be challenging. If you have a home inventory or a receipt for your purchases, it may be a straightforward process to get the funds you need to replace the item lost to you.

Also Read: Acts of Violence in Your Home - Does Home Insurance Cover Damages?

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
Site Footer Home Page Customer Service About Us Get A Quote Contact Us Claims Testimonials Locations
Allen Harmon Insurance Agency | 230 N Helmer Rd | Battle Creek , MI 49037 | (269) 441-5156
Kozhuharov Agency | 961 Oakwood DrĀ | Rochester, MI 48307 | (877) 205-0051
Powered by Insurance Website Builder